Tesco Cream Crunchies
When I saw these I got very excited as they remind me of the Fox’s Crunch Creams, and I LOVED them. I’m happy eating bisuicts, and do it mindless, but there are a few biscuits I used to love, and these were one of them. Question is, do they live up to expectations?
- Tesco Cost: £1.25
- Size: 180g
- Specified Free From: Gluten, Wheat
- Also ‘free from’*: Egg, Milk
- INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Gluten Free Oat Flour, Icing Sugar, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Soya Flour, Palm Fat, Rice Flour, Rapeseed Oil, Partially Inverted Sugar Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Flavouring, Raising Agent (Ammonium Bicarbonate), Salt, Colours (Paprika Extract, Curcumin), Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids).
- Allergy Notes: May contain peanuts and nuts.
- Vegan/Vegetarian: Vegetarian
Smell, Taste & Texture
The biscuit is rather crunchy, but lacks a little flavour. There’s a definite rich taste to the overall treat, but it’s missing the nice cracked texture on the Fox’s biscuit. I don’t expect exact matches – especially at this level of free from, but Tesco feel so close to getting it righth ere.
The texture of the filling is creamy when eaten with the biscuits (how I know you should eat them, but I like twisting them apart and eating them seperately), and the crea coats your mouth slightly. However, when eaten by itself the cream filling feels bland, and lacks that extra sweetness I usually like from cream biscuit filling. There is also zero integrtity in the Tesco Cream Crunchies. You bite any part, any size and the whole thing both squeezes out the filling, and collapses in your hand. Whilst not unusual in free from biscuits, I find that the Tesco Cream Crunchies filling is that soft that it can’t hold the biscuit up when eating – an important part of the biscuit eating experience!
There’s no real smell to the Tesco Cream Crunchies, just a slight sweetness. Not that I was expecting anything much, but free from foods have taken me by surprise before!
Would I buy them again? Yes. I really do like them, and it’s been rather novel to have yet another ‘new’ food. Did they live up to my expectations? No. For what they are, they’re good, but they are too soft and the filling is both too much and a little too bland to be perfect.
I think with a little refinement this could be absolutely amazing.